Friday 27 January 2012

O'douls Restaurant and Bar

Our Dine Out experience number two today was much better than last week's, we went to O'douls at 1300 Robson Street, in the edge of downtown Vancouver's shopping district. I've only been to O'douls once before with my parents for breakfast, but I don't think I appreciated the experience back then.

Chicken & pork dish

The ambiance in the restaurant really reminded me of  the Galileo Museum in Florence. The ceiling was decorated with the four points of a compass coupled with a Renaissance inspired map painted over the heads of diners. Tonight's dinner felt rather rushed, and I think it was because our server was a bit too spot on on collecting empty plates.

Pumpkin gnocci with blue cheese

The $28 per person food was a different matter, we were offered a complimentary chicken and pork appetizer, served on a traditional Chinese soup spoon with a spot of tomato sauce on top. Next, I had the pumpkin gnocci with blue cheese, served with 'pickled' walnuts and sage brown butter as the first course. I thought the gnocci was a bit bland, somebody pass me the salt? The plate was also served with blue cheese, which I didn't think was compatible with the gnocci. It was just missing the strong aroma like blue cheese should have. I think I would have been better off with the other option, beets with goat cheese. 

elk carpaccio

Michael had the Canadian Rangeland Elk Carpaccio, with celeriac and caper remoulade, smoked chocolate and shaved parmesan. He said that tasting Elk for the first time was different in a good way, though he wouldn't put it as the same category with beef. It tasted good and he's willing to give elk a second try if he gets the chance. He also said the plate was well decorated and proportioned, and the blend of different ingredients mixed well together.


Wild salmon with herb gnocci

For the entree, I had the Pacific Provider Wild Pink Salmon with herb gnocci, wilted kale, smoked pork hock broth. I know, gnocci again. I tried not to pay too much attention to it. The gnocci agian was bland but this time I had the pork broth, which was very flavourful and went nicely together with the gnocci, giving the moisture to wash everything down. As for the salmon, I gotta say I usually don't like cooked salmon, but this one was spot on. It was very tasty, a combination of juices and the crispy skin on top, heaven when mixed with the pork broth. 

Angus beef with mashed potato

Michael had the Curry-spiced Certified Angus Beef Flank Steak with mashed potato and cumin roti, cucumber and cilantro salad. He said the beef was very flavorful, tender and he could really taste the spices. It arrived perfectly cooked to medium rare, sliced roast-styled into six or seven pieces. The mashed potatos had the taste, but lacked a crispy oven-cooked texture that he had expected. He also left the roti behind, so I gave it a bite, I've had better rotis.

For dessert, we both had the Okanagan Apple Creme Brulee, it came with a wafer looking biscuit, which tricked us - it was hard. I normally love cinnamon but that biscuit was too dry, the taste stuck onto the apples provided for garnish though. Even though they were just apple slices, the taste really improved with a thin cinnamon coating. The creme brulee itself? Top notch. It's one of my all time favourite desserts. 

Creme brulee

I think this week's experience with O'douls could pass for a A-. Next week is also the last week of Vancouver Dine Out, and I'm still in search for that "knock my socks off" feeling. I have one more Dine out to go with Michael, and also next week I am also going to another Dine out with a fellow gal pal of mine - the Yew at the Four Seasons Hotel on 791 West Georgia Street. I read they have poutine and I am REALLY excited. I don't know maybe its the inner-Montrealian of me coming out. But stay tuned!


Follow me on Twitter!


O'Doul's on Urbanspoon

No comments: